Memories in Westcotes

  • The first electric tram on the Narborough Road and Hinckley Road routes commenced on 12th July 1904 and ended on 21st November 1948.
  • The Narborough Road Post Office had twelve postal collections each weekday from 7.30 a.m. to 11.00 p.m. and on Sundays at 5.45 and 8.45 p.m. It was possible to post a letter to Sheffield early morning and receive a reply by the third delivery that day.
  • The Library on Narborough Road celebrated its Centenary in 1989. The site upon which it stands was given by the Rev Joseph Harris, and he also donated £200 towards its cost of erection which was £1600!
  • Many will remember the very smartly uniformed brisk-walking lamplighter who came round at dusk to light the street lamps in Westcotes. Also a very portly woman wearing a black hat and white apron and with a very pallid face who pushed a barrow from which she sold blocks of salt. Many will also remember a man named Flanagan who started his business from a two-wheel cart with small pony from which he sold fish and rabbits. He later became tenant of one of the new shops on Fosse Road South which were built in the late 1920s between Upperton Road and Beaconsfield Road. There was also waste ground between Barclay Street and Harrow Road upon which the Westleigh Cinema was built, later to be demolished and now the site of a petrol station.
Go to top